Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
The building of the New Cathedral (Germ. Neuer Dom), also known as the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (Mariä-Empfängnis-Dom) in Linz was begun in 1855 by Bishop Franz-Josef Rudigier. The first stone was laid in 1862. This event was solemnised by the performance of Bruckner's Festive Cantata Preiset den Hern.
In 1924 Bishop Johannes Maria Gföllner consecrated the finished building as the Cathedral of the Virgin Mary (Mariendom). The plans, drawn by the Master Builder of the Archdiocese of Cologne, Vincenz Statz, were made in the French high gothic style.
With 20,000 seats, the cathedral is the largest, but not the highest, church in Austria. The originally-planned, higher spire was not approved, because in Austria-Hungary at the time, no building was allowed to be taller than the South Tower of the St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna. At 135 m, the New Cathedral is two meters shorter than the Viennese cathedral.