The original Lemsters settled where the rivers Rien and Zijlroede meet, though it remains unknown when they first did so. Lemmer appears in writing at the beginning of the fourteenth century, though it is mentioned as Lenna in the writings of the bishop of the diocese of Utrecht in 1228. A further link can probably be made with the name Lammerbroeke, which appears in 1165 as an earlier form of Lemsterhoek, a hamlet just west of present-day Lemmer, which was destroyed by the Hollanders around 1400. No rebuilding ensued, but the place and name are still known, especially among sailors and fishermen. Even older names have also survived, such as Lyamer.